Tuesday, December 30, 2008

The Handcuffs, Electroluv


"The Handcuffs embody the spirit of rock music's uninhibited, sexy and overbearing appeal. A perfect blend of style and energy. They do not sound like anyone else, but at the same time they seem very familiar."


Their online bio puts it just about right. I have been doing this on ReviewPoint since '06, and with a widely varied interest and result I might add, I actually got death threats and a lawsuit threatened after my take on Morning 40, great fan base guys, but I digress. Every once in a great while...I actually add the CD to my personal collection, this is one of those times.

I didn't even have these guys on the radar, and it is a very big radar!!! I went to the website to do some research, surfed over to the Facebook and MySpace sites, listened to some old stuff mixed with the new...3 hours later! She has a very hot voice, Chloe that is. Chloe F. Orwell, drummer Brad Elvis, with the addition of newcomers, bassist Emily Tagni and the multi-talented instrumentalist Ellis Clark, make up this sassy surprise.

This being their "sophomore record", leads me to believe my radar just might get dialed into them very, very soon! Right from the very start, Electroluv, the title track, showcases Chloe's use of a velvet hammer followed by crystal chandeliers, stunning style range to be subtle about it. Brad's pounding beat to begin the third track, I just Wanna Be Free, Man , highlight a hint of The B-52's or Blondie on steroids, very powerful beat, very nice bass line, as well as a little psychedelics...

Turn It Up, not even one of the disc's so-called "focus tracks", is an excellent break from the sometimes repetitive sounds of a few other songs, and really shows a different side of Chloe's range. Fake Friends begins with an almost Beatles sound on the side, Chloe slides in some very nice tones along with a great piano sound from Ellis, I presume, I really could see this song as one to reflect on, it gave me a feel of the late '70s with a refinement of the millennium...hey this would be a great James Bond movie theme song!! (remember me if you get the nod guys?)

God Is Sure One Funny Girl has to be my favorite on this disc, "pussy on a leash about, five foot long", wow!! I love that line, what an imagination, brilliant! A trashy but sexy tune, it is a very fun addition to this great collection of juxtapositions. Wonderful Life, no not the movie, track 9 is another wonderful innocent sound from Chloe, yet another turn of the corner from a voice that is very elusive to capture or define.

Hell, all this typing is keeping me from enjoying my latest addition to my somewhat over sized collection, move over Blondie, Chloe and the guys are moving in. Enjoy this CD from OOFL Records, check out the links to their MySpace and Facebook sites, buy the CD and see how good it really is, I would be glad to loan you mine, but...not so much. I'm outta here.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>